autism, chris, relocation


hi – house thoughts —

We are almost done with our 4 day wait to see what the school says about Chris. To summarize – our offer and financing are approved. We are waiting for the school district in the new area to state to us whether Chris can stay in his present school that is meeting his needs. We do not know what they will say – have no idea – though common sense says they would have his best needs at heart.

I had said from the beginning that if they say Chris has to leave his school we would not buy the house. I have a friend (one of my best friends) that is trying to convince me to think this a little less black and white. She is stating that perhaps the new school WOULD have a viable option for Chris even if they do not approve his going to his present school. She is also saying to think of Colleen’s and Ryan’s needs. They are attending the City schools, which Chris is not attending. Colleen has just entered the middle school and for the next 6 years will be dealing with attending an inner city school. Ryan will just begin Kindergarten in 2 years but then of course by middle school will also be dealing with the same as Colleen (though of course by then Chris will be grown and probably living somewhere else so we could probably move by then.)

She is just saying to keep an open mind and keep the whole family in mind, not just Chris. That is very hard for me!! But she is right.

I also don’t know how long Chris will be with us in our home. My good friend Kathy is just now finding placement for her autistic/ADHD son. Her son is out of control, running down the street, banging on windows, and has to have the police called on him regularly. He is almost 16. I hope Chris doesn’t get to this place, but he IS ALSO leaving without permission and going down the street. I know we’ll have a fence at either place, but her son is at the point where he just hops fences to get over them. So I’m starting to wonder if I’m being too narrow minded basing this decision TOTALLY on Chris. I’m adjusting my thinking, though I don’t know what I’ll do yet if they will say no tomorrow about him attending his present school….

What is good for Chris at this new house is we’ll finally have a place to set up a work area for Chris that will mirror his work area at school. He will have a rocker for music time, an exercise bike, and a reading area and a icon/object schedule. We were going to start this past summer on this but didn’t know where to put the exercise bike and chart! Now we’ll have a place, whether we decide it should be in the basement family room, or in his bedroom.

Thanks for listening…..



chris, photos, relocation


we’re just waiting on a snag about where Chris is going to school, and if that resolves this house will be ours!

(not valid link) is the new location of my house pictures. That photo site of mine had been full – it’s still a little messed up but I’ll work on it slowly 😉 — it’s fun to have my photo site up again!



HOUSE NEWS — and NEW COMPUTER all set up too —-

just copying this as I have no time, but hope to post more soon!

Well, we did it, we bid on a house. It’s the one we first saw back in June – they lowered price from 149,9 to 142 and we offered 134. We’ll see. We need a contingency – they may not accept that. We’ve looked inside 2x and drove by probably 8 times. It needs work – probably $20,000 worth with garage updating, finishing off a fence, and fixing front steps. But it’s a very nice neighborhood, beautiful wooded lot, and good schools.

more soon – love, d

Time: Monday, 8/29/2005 1:23:15 PM (#71899)
User: dori

Comments: latest —

Bid was tentatively counteroffered at 139,000. They will waive the contingency fee (every month paying more until we sell the house) if we accept the 139. However, we have to see if we can qualify for that much – I kind of doubt it. So we’ll see!

There are a lot of little problems with the house that add up to some biggies, which is why we didn’t want to spend too much for it. Front steps need totally redone, and the bathroom & shower in basement need work. Gayle is worried about the handle on the shower being located badly so that someone could get burned because you can’t adjust without being in there. (I didn’t remember that). But there are 3 bathrooms one of which has a regular shower and bathtub, so we could take time to fix the extra one.

Also the basement stairs are extremely steep.

Time: Monday, 8/29/2005 1:27:31 PM (#71900)
User: dori

Comments: I would like to have an inspection on the house. Do you do that after you make the offer, etc., or before? I would also like to get in one more time myself! Rog and his parents went in yesterday for a 2nd time but I’ve not been in there since June (I loved it at that time!)

Ahh, so stressful yet exciting!

We would have to put up our house IMMEDIATELY on the market – luckily the guy who is selling this house is an independent with a 0% down plan and also good rates on buying/selling so we’d probably just go with him. I’m talking with Rog’s sister (who works at a bank) to see if we can be approved any higher on our preapproval we got in June – we were approved at 108,000.



thinking about Idaho/ house hunting thoughts

Oh, just am so glad they found Shasta alive in Idaho but what a horrible thing she went through. I just am so moved by that whole story. She will have a hard time recuperating I’m sure. I am praying for her – I can’t imagine living knowing almost my whole family died – but thank God she has her dad. I hope her brother is alive too….

We have been house hunting a lot and have found some really that we liked a lot but they were all over our price range or there was something wrong with them not really workable for us. So we’re relaxing a bit on the house hunt. Our new goal is to keep our eyes open still but to ready our house for SELLING. We have never sold a house before so it’s kind of overwhelming to us. We have SO much stuff and don’t know how we’d get rid of it (things we need!) to appropriately sell our house, to show it in that “empty” way that people like to see in order to envision THEIR stuff in it! We don’t have anywhere to move into while we empty our house and try and sell it, and we don’t have the money to buy a new house, move in, pay two house payments for a while, and then sell ours after fixing it. We don’t qualify for a bridge loan, either, that will help us do just that.

So we’re thinking of just staying a little longer and doing as much fix up as we can, save more money, pay more credit cards, and just hope in a year we’ll be more prepared to actually put the house up for sale. And then the prayer that our financial situation will stay good like it is now…. I know from experience how fast things can deteriorate when you think they’re great!

a little scared….

college, relocation, travel, weight

short update

things are fine – BUSY!

We went to Port Clinton on vacation last weekend and it was GREAT! Busy though – 3 kids, 2 with kinda special needs, tends to keep one running on vacation! Soon I’ll post a few pictures.

I decided NOT to go to school at this time. It was a very hard decision. However, we are talking MORE and M O R E about moving, and that overwhelms me anyway (12 years in this same house and our possessions increasing during that time from those of 3 people (one a 2 year old) to those of 5 people (14 year old, 11 year old, and 3 year old children), and that makes a big difference when moving!! So we’ve been seeing houses and planning when and if and where to move, so school on the top of that just seemed too much. So once again it’s on the back burner.

More of an update soon — the summer is flying by!

I have lost 7 1/2 pounds now.


autism, college, deafness, medications, organizing, Pans/Pandas, relocation, relocation North Carolina, residency, sleep, weight, work

a little update finally —

speak and spell
You’re a Speak & Spell!! You nerd, you. Just
because you were disguised as a toy doesn’t
mean you weren’t educational, you sneaky

What childhood toy from the 80s are you?
brought to you by Quizilla

it is a lazy Sunday and I have SO much cleaning to do.

Last I wrote Chris was having a VERY VERY VERY bad time. We had an awful 4 months – February – sinus infections, ear infections with ear injury from hitting; March, 2 ear surgeries, missed most of the whole month off of school, plus drug reaction to Seroquel/Risperdol and withdrawal; April, entire month, I believe, from school, just about (he may have gone a week or so), had 1-2 more sinus infections; May, Tonsillectomy/Adenoidectomy, and finally had to start more meds as he was still being aggressive, self-injurious, and very very upset and not sleeping at all hardly (like 3-4 hours every few days is all); and June started horribly as well but FINALLY last 3-4 days his new meds (Tenex) is kicking in and he’s sleeping a little more and is seeming happier. FINALLY.

(2020 pans/pandas)

Continue reading “a little update finally —”