I just joined a new community here on Live Journal called backtocollege. I’m so glad it exists, as I have to make a decision that I have been considering for years.
I will copy this entry there as well…
I know I’ve typed here about school before, but can’t remember if I ever tried to work out the decision making here before.
When I was working, either part time, full time, or at home, from 1987-2003, I always had the plan that when and if I was ever home again, I would go to school. I planned to start fall of 2004.
Life threw me some curve balls with the 3 hospitalizations Chris had from March-July of that summer, and I decided to wait. We also wanted to wait to see how Ryan did, as he was only about 20 months when I lost my job Dec. of 04, at the crucial point of “seeing if he would be autistic” for lack of better words.
So, even with infrequent periods of trying to decide again about school, I pretty much put it on hold. I made my goal date to start school Fall of 05.
This is coming up! I need to make a decision. Here’s pros and cons, and my goals.
PROS of going back now:
- I should be able to get financial aid with our income at this time.
- I am NOT working at this time.
- You often get money back each semester from financial aide = helpful!!!
- Ryan is now in preschool.
- If I start now, I’m only 40, maybe I can get my bachelor’s or masters by the time I’m 50 (i’m planning to go very part time)
- I have an aide right now to help me with Chris, so could even study right until 3:00 when Ryan gets home from preschool.
- Go back now, before there’s more government cuts on financial aide.
CONS of going back now:
- I still have a lot of trouble keeping the house orderly and managing everything I have to do, but it is going much better now that Ryan is in preschool – [ if I give up that 3 hours to myself at home every day, organizing and cleaning, will it all fall apart? ]
- Will I have enough time to manage my 3 children’s special needs, appointments, etc.?
- Will my ADHD hold me back? In the past, however, school has always been fairly “easy” for me – managing my home has not been.
- Will I have enough time to spend with children and family?
- Will the financial aide I get be enough, with any government cuts happening? Rog went through without paying for anything 1999-2001 – hopefully it’s still adequate.
I will continue this later…. thanks for reading! Advice welcomed.