5-11-07 (have to figure out how to change dates on these after the fact!)
–“My Headphones Sound Like Crap and I Didn’t Know It.” And this is why the transcription company I failed should give me a second chance!
Oh my. As any reader (hello out there 😉 ) knows, I was upset that I failed a test for a transcription company that is spoken of as the cream of the crop. I just accepted that I must have messed up a portion of it and thus was not chosen.
Lo and behold, my headphones broke last night. I had bought them in February, high-falutin 😉 noise-reducing RCA headphones. Then I plugged in the old ones I used before that (that have no pads on them – uncomfortable) and was amazed at how suddenly the audio was clearer. I relistened and found ALL KINDS Of errors and omissions and corrections that had to be made to my document.
Then I realized today that I took my tests last week or two on those awful headphones that broke last night (I would never recommend RCA noise reducing headphones now!). I thought they were so great and didn’t realize what I was missing.
Well, I had the whim today of checking my test file and lo and behold FULL of errors and inaudibles I should have caught. The other headphones must have inserted some kind of wind into the files. I emailed them (it probably won’t work) but explained that I just found out about a huge problem with my old headphones and would it be possible to look at my resubmitted, re-proofed files again.
I’m just so grateful I caught this before I turned in a terrible file today – I’m doing my first project for a company I worked at last year – what a bad impression THAT would have been.
Now I’m sitting here thinking about the conference I did for the local guy a few months ago and how I was complaining about the poor audio – maybe it was all the headphones then too.